The workplace isn’t always safe for Black women.
Historically, Black women have felt invisible at work. From being unable to show up to work wearing their natural hair to being afraid of being labeled difficult or aggressive when they’re assertive.
In this podcast episode of Managing Well with Tonya Ladipo, we chat with licensed psychotherapist Akua Boateng about creating a safe workplace for Black women and encouraging leadership and career growth.
After the episode, download our worksheet for tips on how you can show up as a better people manager and leader in your organization.
- How does my organization support employees following trauma and crises in specific communities? What can I do as a manager to support individuals and my team as a whole?
- What specific actions can I take to demonstrate that I prioritize the emotional and psychological safety of my direct reports?
- Do we have policies or practices that negatively impact a group of people? For example, are there certain hairstyles (e.g. afros, braids) that are directly or indirectly considered inappropriate and unprofessional at your workplace?
- Education is the beginning of inclusivity. Take the time to learn more about different cultures and perspectives, especially the backgrounds of the people who make up your team.
- Offer ERG or affinity groups in the workplace, where employees have a space where their culture and identities are represented and celebrated.
- Listen more than you speak. Seek to understand employee reactions instead of assuming what they might be.
- Let your team know that mental health is vital to the organization. Offer mental health days as a benefit and when it’s needed.
- The State of Black Women in Corporate America
- The Workplace Is Making Black Women Sick. Here’s How To Make It Healthier
- What Depression Looks Like In High-Functioning Black Women
On the Managing Well podcast, host Tonya Ladipo talks wellness in the workplace with people leaders, mental health professionals, HR experts, and more. Click the link to subscribe to the podcast and get the latest episodes.