When there’s conflict at work, the strength of workplace relationships will be challenged.
In part two of our relationship-building episode series, Tonya and counselor Elizabeth Byrne discuss how to approach conflict without harming people on your team.
- If there’s one thing we can guarantee in the workplace and life, it doesn’t matter how great the relationship is; there will be conflict at some point.
- Relationships are relationships. Whether they are personal or in the workplace, how we navigate or avoid conflict is often consistent in our interactions.
- The ways we learned to navigate or avoid conflict in childhood are often still in effect in our adult relationships, both personal and professional.
- Reflect on how you learned to deal with conflict. What did you witness from adults? What were you encouraged to do when conflict occurred?
- Consider a time you were pleased with how you resolved conflict within a relationship. What did you do? What was the outcome?
- Have you witnessed conflict resolved in the workplace in a manner that you want to replicate? What happened? What was the outcome? What actions made the outcome possible?
- Pause and check in with yourself before responding or escalating a situation. Recognize your internal response rather than automatically reacting. Ask yourself, “Am I reacting this way based on previous interactions, or is it appropriate for this moment?”
- Be mindful as you engage with your co-workers, and be intentional with your response. Words and actions have an impact. Slowing down and thoughtfully communicating will be better.
- Give concrete, actionable, and goal-oriented feedback. Often, when things escalate, solving the conflict stops being the goal. Remember to clearly state your expectations and demonstrate the behavior you want to see from your team.
- How To Have Difficult Conversations When You Don’t Like Conflict, HBR
- Is Your Fixed Mindset Stopping You From Resolving Conflicts?
Don’t miss episodes from Managing Well’s Relationship-Building Series:
- Ep 30: Relationship-Building – Set the Foundation with Elizabeth Byrne (Part 1)
- Ep 32: Relationship-Building – Rupture and Repair with Elizabeth Byrne (Part 3)
- Ep 33: Relationship-Building – Maintaining Strong Relationships at Work (Part 4)
The Managing Well podcast, with host Tonya Ladipo, talks about wellness in the workplace with people leaders, mental health professionals, HR experts, and more. Click the link to subscribe to the podcast and get the latest episodes.