On September 13th and September 21st, Tonya Ladipo is hosting a virtual healthcare symposium, “Workplace Wellness & Equity in Healthcare.”
In this episode, Tonya talks about growing up as the daughter of an emergency room physician, the significance of the Supreme Court’s Affirmative Action ruling, and why the healthcare industry needs to stay committed to equity in healthcare.
- When we fail to address healthcare equity, people die.
- Zip code, race, gender, sexuality, and more should not determine whether or not people receive quality healthcare services.
- Vicarious trauma (VT) is a job hazard for healthcare professionals. The impact of untreated VT is inferior patient care, higher staff turnover, and adverse mental health for healthcare providers.
- Take a moment to reflect on why you joined the healthcare industry. Are your motivations the same today? What roadblocks have you faced during your journey? What would you change now to fulfill your “why?”
- Think about the last time you felt burned out. How did it affect your mental and physical health? How did it impact your interactions with patients and your professional and personal relationships?
- Most people pursue medicine to help people. Sometimes, policies unintentionally interfere with providing the care and assistance that people need. If you had a magic wand that would change any policy within your healthcare setting to improve the quality of care patients receive, what would you change?
- With the amount of trauma healthcare providers experience, it is critical to create consistent, healthy actions to release the impact of vicarious trauma. Make a list of healthy actions to support your well-being. Choose one action you can take daily. Start today!
- Register for From Idea to Action: Making Health Equity a Reality (September 13, 2023)
- Register for Addressing Burnout in Healthcare Professionals (September 21, 2023)
- How medical schools are considering race after the Supreme Court limited affirmative action in admissions
- Understanding Disparities In Health and Healthcare
- Affirmative action ends: How Supreme Court Ruling Impacts Medical Schools & the Health Care Workforce, American Medical Association
- How to Avoid Burnout As a Doctor
The Managing Well podcast, with host Tonya Ladipo, talks about wellness in the workplace with people leaders, mental health professionals, HR experts, and more. Click the link to subscribe to the podcast and get the latest episodes.